Tim Slavish, Pittsburgh Field Club, was elected President during the WPGA Annual Meeting at Allegheny Country Club on October 22. He succeeds Claudette Graham of Allegheny and is the 99th WPGA President in the Association’s storied and lengthy history.
The remaining WPGA officers are Rud VanHorn, Hickory Heights, Vice President; Dan Johnston, Treasure Lake, Secretary; and Terry Kenny, South Hills, Treasurer.
Being honored on and off the golf course is nothing new for Andy Butler.
This year’s Frank Fuhrer III award winner was a three-year letter-winner at Manheim Township High School, a three-time regional qualifier, a starter on the school’s PIAA championship teams in 2011 and 2012 along with an impressive list of other awards.
He chose Villanova University to pursue his engineering major and business minor degrees as well as playing on the Wildcats’ golf team.
The 87th West Penn Golf Association Senior Amateur Championship became a casualty to the weather early in October when Allegheny Country Club became unplayable because of rain.
That necessitated the rescheduling of the event to Oct. 23 with the 36-hole, two-day championship becoming a 36-hole, one-day test of endurance and skill.
When the competitors arrived Tuesday, they were greeted by a sunny day, chilly temperatures, some strong, gusty winds and putting surfaces that were like glass.
Team WPGA retains Palmer Cup (9/21/18)Petrone wins 11th WPGA Women's Amateur Championship (9/19/18)
The WPGA Championship season has concluded for 2018. See you all next year.
Qualifying for USGA Championships has concluded for 2018. See you all next year.
The Western Pennsylvania Golf Association celebrated its centennial in 1998. Part of this celebration was to recognize area golfers and contributors who had an impact on our history. The Western Pennsylvania Golf Hall of Fame was established in 2013 to celebrate this history. The inaugural class consisted of William C. Fownes, Jr., Jock Hutchison, Arnold Palmer, Carol Semple Thompson, and Lew Worsham.
The WPGA Scholarship Fund was founded in 1941 and awarded two scholarships to the University of Pittsburgh and another to Duquesne University. The first Caddie Welfare Committee surfaced in 1927 and addressed issues to benefit of caddies at the various Member Clubs of the Association. Fourteen years later the movement secured enough money to sponsor its first scholars.