South Hills donates $7,332 to Scholarship Fund
Posted October 7, 2008 - Western Pennsylvania Golf Association - Contact
South Hills Country Club has a long and distinguished history in area golf. Sam Parks was an assistant professional there when he won the 1935 US Open at Oakmont. In the 1998 book, “A Century of Golf in Western Pennsylvania,” several golfers are mentioned besides Parks - Jack Benson, who won six West Penn Amateurs, Golf Course Superintendent Ernie Jacob, whose playing record included qualifying for the 1929 US Open and winning the first Golf Course Superintendents of America national tournament (1938), and golf professional Ted Luther, one of the best players in the area for three decades.
South Hills has been a Member Club since its founding in 1920. WPGA Presidents include John Graham, 1929, Charles K. Brown, 1935, T.J. Charlesworth, 1956, Thomas L. Jones, 1971, and William Withers, 1989. The club has been a primary financial supporter of the WPGA Scholarship Fund since its founding in 1941, and South Hills is #1 in scholarship recipients.
Last month, South Hills sent $7,332 to the WPGA Scholarship Fund, the single highest one-year donation ever received from a Member Club. This effort led by Gary Evans was achieved by a member billing from which a member could opt out. Not many did! The Scholarship and Executive Committees appreciate this most significant donation.