Historic trophies rebuilt

Posted May 12, 2015 - Western Pennsylvania Golf Association - Contact



The Harry Milholland Vase and the W.C. Fownes Trophy

One of primary reasons the Western Pennsylvania Golf Association was founded was to conduct the West Penn Amateur Championship and West Penn Open Championship. Both started in 1899 and each has wonderful histories.

The trophies for both are priceless mementos of sterling silver pieces both constructed in the 1920’s. The Amateur trophy is named for Oakmont’s William C. Fownes, Jr., an outstanding player and leader of the game both at Oakmont and nationally. The Open tophy is named for Harry C. Milholland, former editor of the Pittsburgh Press.

Both trophies ran out of room for engraving the names of future champions last year.

The Association contacted area silversmith Tom Sandretto, who had done previous work on Association trophies such as the Brothers and Father & Son. In each case Sandretto built bases for additional champions’ names to be engraved. His work provides space for at least thirty more champions with a silver band around a high quality wooden base.

This work is in line with the Association’s recent beginning of the Hall of Fame in a more tangible way, upgrading old trophies to recognize upcoming Amateur and Open champions for the foreseeable future.